South Korea suspends anti-North Korea radio broadcasts

File Image - AFP

South Korea has suspended a military radio broadcast that transmits to North Korea as part of measures aimed at easing tensions with Pyongyang, Seoul's defence ministry said on Monday.

It is the first time that South Korea has stopped the radio broadcast in 15 years since they resumed after North Korea's sinking of a South Korean warship, according to media reports.

The radio broadcast, called "Voice of Freedom", carries items such as news on the North's regime, South Korean economic development or K-pop culture. It has been used as one of South Korea's tools for psychological warfare against the North.

"The Ministry of National Defence has suspended broadcasts of Voice of Freedom as part of measures to ease military tensions between the South and North," Lee Kyung-ho, deputy spokesperson at the ministry, told a press briefing.

The two Koreas remain technically at war since the 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

Shortly after he took office in June, the administration of South Korean President Lee Jae Myung switched off propaganda loudspeaker broadcasts on the border criticising the North's regime as it looks to revive stalled dialogue with its neighbour.

Lee has vowed to take further steps to dial down tensions with North Korea and proposed a meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to build peace.

But so far North Korea has rebuffed Lee's overtures and said it is not interested in dialogue with South Korea.

The North Korean leader plans to visit China this week, its major ally and economic lifeline, to attend a military parade, along with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.