At least five people were killed, and 49 injured by a magnitude 6.1 earthquake in southern Iran early on Saturday, with the area also hit soon after by two strong quakes of up to 6.3 magnitude.
The state media reported.
Some 24 tremors, two with a magnitude of 6.3 and 6.1, followed the 2 a.m. (1:30 a.m. UAE time) quake that flattened the village of Sayeh Khosh near Iran's Gulf coast in Hormozgan province. The most recent tremor occurred around 8 a.m. (7:30 a.m. UAE time), officials told state TV.
"All of the victims died in the first earthquake, and no one was harmed in the next two as people were already outside their homes," said Foad Moradzadeh, governor of Bandar Lengeh country, quoted by the state news agency IRNA.
Emergency services spokesperson Mojtaba Khaledi told state TV that half of the 49 people injured had been discharged from hospitals.
Officials said search and rescue operations had ended.
Saeid Pourzadeh of the Kish island crisis task force said Gulf shipping and flights had not been affected by the quakes.
State TV said 150 quakes and tremors had struck western Hormozgan over the past month.
Major geological fault lines crisscross Iran, which has suffered several devastating earthquakes in recent years. In 2003, a magnitude 6.6 quake in Kerman province killed 31,000 people and flattened the ancient city of Bam.
Tremors were also felt in parts of the UAE. Although no damage was reported, some residents did need to evacuate their buildings as a safety measure and took to social media to post about their experience.


Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv
Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain
North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end
Kenya tourist helicopter crash kills seven
US, South Korea to cut length, scope of military drills after Trump order
