The head of the National Counterterrorism Center Joseph Kent resigned on Tuesday, becoming the first and most senior member of US President Donald Trump's administration to resign over the war in Iran, saying Tehran posed no imminent threat to the United States.
"I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran. Iran posed no imminent threat to our nation, and it is clear that we started this war due to pressure from Israel and its powerful lobby," Kent wrote in a letter to Trump posted on X.
Some experts have said an imminent threat would be required for the United States to launch a war under current law.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence also did not immediately respond.
Intelligence officials were caught off guard by the news.
Kent is close with Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, who has kept a low profile since the Iran war began.
Gabbard has not issued any public statements and has only appeared in public during the dignified transfer of American soldiers killed earlier this month during the conflict with Iran.
The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo now exceeds 5,000, government data has showed late on Tuesday, as health officials warn that response efforts are failing to contain the deadly disease.
Eight Israeli airstrikes have hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria early on Tuesday, targeting the runway and storage facilities, Syria's state-run Ekhbariya said, citing a military source.
Torrential rains have killed 10 people in China's southwest following a house collapse and a landslide, state broadcaster CCTV said on Wednesday, with tens of thousands also evacuated as a precaution.