An armed man has taken a number of people hostage on a bus in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk on Tuesday.
Shots have been heard and the bus damaged, as police officers blocked off the city centre.
The suspect, identified as 44-year-old Russian-born Maksym Kryvosh, through social media is demanding that senior Ukrainian officials publish statements saying that they were terrorists.
He also threatened to detonate another bomb in a crowded place.
Deputy interior minister Anton Gerashchenko said Kryvosh had been convicted twice and spent about 10 years in prison.
"We are in full control of the situation. I know all the details. I am talking with our specialists who are in Lutsk. Professionals are working, doing everything to free our hostages," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's press service quoted him as saying.
Photos showed a small bus parked in the middle of an empty street. Two windows of the bus were smashed and other windows were covered with curtains.
South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation.
At least 100 people were killed when a low-tech artisanal gold mine collapsed in the Central African Republic on Tuesday, a senior official at a local mining association said.
An Israeli airstrike killed nine Palestinians at a police station in Gaza on Wednesday, medics said, two days after US envoy Jared Kushner ended a trip to the region that failed to push forward Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the enclave.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday, as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.