Satellite firm Planet Labs to indefinitely withhold Iran war images

AFP

Satellite imaging firm Planet Labs has announced on Saturday that it will indefinitely withhold visuals of Iran and the region of conflict in the Middle East to comply with a request from the US government.

California-based Planet Labs announced the decision in an email to customers and said the US government had asked all satellite imagery providers to indefinitely withhold images of the conflict region.

The restriction expands upon a 14-day delay on imagery of the Middle East that Planet Labs imposed last month, a move the firm said was meant to prevent adversaries from using it to attack the US and its allies.

Planet Labs said it will withhold imagery dating back to March 9 and that it expects the policy to remain in effect until the conflict ends.

The war began when the US and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and the conflict spread in the region when Tehran responded by launching its own attacks on Israel and US bases in Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Bahrain.

Military uses of satellite technology include target identification, weapons guidance, missile tracking, and communications. Some space specialists say Iran could be accessing commercial imagery, including pictures obtained via US adversaries. Satellite images also help journalists and academicians studying hard-to-reach places.

Planet Labs, which operates a large fleet of Earth-imaging satellites and sells frequently updated images to governments, companies, and media, did not respond to a request for further comment.

The Pentagon said it does not comment on intelligence-related matters.

Planet Labs said in its email to customers that it would switch to a "managed distribution of images" deemed not to pose a risk to safety. Under a new system, Planet Labs will release imagery on a case-by-case basis for urgent, mission-critical requirements or in the public interest.

"These are extraordinary circumstances, and we are doing all we can to balance the needs of all our stakeholders," the firm said.

One commercial provider, Vantor, formerly Maxar Technologies, told Reuters that it was not contacted by the US government. Vantor, for years, has reserved the right to "implement enhanced access controls during times of geopolitical conflict" and currently has applied them for parts of the Middle East, a company spokesperson said in a statement.

Those controls can include limits on who can request new images or buy existing pictures of regions where the US military and its allies are "actively operating," and areas "actively targeted by adversaries," the spokesperson said.

One other commercial provider contacted by Reuters, BlackSky Technology, did not immediately return a request for comment.

More from International

  • Strong earthquake strikes central Peru

    An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.

  • Overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria, at least 40 bodies recovered

    At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.

  • Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

    Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.

  • Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv

    Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

    Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.