Fighters of Russia's Wagner mercenary group have captured two more areas of the Ukrainian city of Bakhmut, Russia's Defence Ministry said on Saturday.
"On the Donetsk direction, the fiercest fighting has been continuing in the city of Artyomovsk," the ministry said in a daily statement, referring to the settlement by its Soviet-era name.
"Wagner assault units successfully advanced, capturing two areas on the northern and southern outskirts of the city," it said.
The statement said Russian army paratroop units supported the claimed advance by holding back Ukrainian forces on the flanks.
Reuters could not independently confirm the report.
Wagner has spearheaded Russia's attempt to take Bakhmut since last summer in what has been the longest and deadliest battle of the war for both sides. Its leader Yevgeny Prigozhin has frequently complained of poor support from the regular military for his forces.
In an intelligence update on Friday, Britain said that Ukrainian troops had been forced to cede some territory in Bakhmut as Russia mounted a renewed assault there, with intense artillery fire over the previous two days.
Bakhmut, which had a pre-war population of around 70,000 people, has been Russia's main target in a winter offensive that has so far yielded scant gains despite infantry ground combat of an intensity unseen in Europe since World War Two.


Kenya tourist helicopter crash kills seven
US, South Korea to cut length, scope of military drills after Trump order
Central African Republic gold mine collapse kills at least 100
Israeli airstrike kills nine Palestinians at Gaza police station
Thai schools hold shooting response drills after deadly school attack
