A wounded Afghan man walks after he received treatment at an Italian aid organisation hospital, following a dozen rockets that struck in Kabul (WAKIL KOHSAR / AFP)
More than a dozen rockets struck Kabul on Tuesday, wounding at least 10 people and prompting some foreign embassies to order a lockdown.
The identity of the attackers was unknown, though an interior ministry spokesman said two suspects had been arrested.
The attack comes at a time when the US is encouraging peace talks between the government and the Taliban, while preparing to withdraw the last US troops to end almost 19 years of war.
"Several rockets were fired from two vehicles," said Tariq Arian, an interior ministry spokesman.
He later added that fourteen rockets landed in different parts of the city, some landing near the Green Zone area, home to many foreign embassies and NATO headquarters.
A senior Western security official told Reuters the diplomatic area was quickly placed under lockdown after the blasts, as workers in embassies took cover in safe rooms.
"All diplomatic officials in embassies in the Green Zone have been moved to safe rooms in the diplomatic district until clearance orders," a senior Western security official added.
Eight Israeli airstrikes have hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria early on Tuesday, targeting the runway and storage facilities, Syria's state-run Ekhbariya said, citing a military source.
Two students were killed in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, one of them the gunman, officials said, in the second such incident in the country in less than two months.
The Supreme Court of Pakistan has ordered on Tuesday that former Prime Minister Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail, his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party said, meeting a longstanding demand of his party and family, who had raised concerns about his health.
A Russian missile attack has killed 10 people and injured a further eight in a village in Ukraine's northeastern Kharkiv region, the regional governor said on Tuesday.
President Donald Trump said on Monday Iran would not make the deal he thinks is needed to end a war with the US and should surrender as talks between the countries remained stalled.