Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will not attend Monday's summit on ending the Gaza war in Egypt, his office said, after Cairo had earlier announced he would take part.
In a statement, Netanyahu's office said he had been invited by US President Donald Trump to participate in the meeting of world leaders in Sharm el-Sheikh but declined "due to the timing's proximity to the beginning of (a Jewish) holiday."
"The Prime Minister thanked President Trump for his invitation and for his efforts to expand the circle of peace — peace through strength," the statement said.
An Egyptian presidential spokesperson earlier said both Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Netanyahu were expected to join the summit "to solidify the agreement to end the war in Gaza and reaffirm their commitment to it".
The spokesperson also said Trump and Netanyahu spoke by phone with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi while they were in Israel on Monday.

8 Israeli airstrikes hit Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, state TV reports
Two killed in high school shooting in southern Philippines
Pakistan top court orders ex-PM Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail
Russian missile attack kills 10 in Ukraine's Kharkiv region, governor says
Trump says Iran won't make deal he thinks is needed
