Mexico sends 1,500 security forces to southern region plagued by gangs

Shutterstock [For Illustration]

Mexico's government sent over 1,500 security officials including National Guard, army and police to the south of the country on Monday in a bid to shore up security in an area under increasing pressure from organised crime.

The taskforce was deployed to the Frontera Comalapa region in the border state of Chiapas "to guarantee peace," the federal and state governments said in a joint statement.

It comes after a video on social media went viral over the weekend purportedly showing a convoy of armed drug cartel members in Frontera Comalapa being applauded by local residents as they drove to "liberate" the town from a rival cartel.

Reuters could not independently verify whether the video showed cartel gunmen.

Some local reporters said residents were forced to applaud.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador downplayed the footage in a regular press conference earlier on Monday.

"Support bases may exist in some parts of the country but it's not a general issue," he said. "It's a matter very limited to a region and the National Guard is already being deployed."

He said there were gangs around Frontera Comalapa and the nearby town of Motozintla "presumably fighting over territory" to traffic drugs coming in from Central America. "Fortunately, there haven't been many murders in Chiapas," he said.

Nevertheless, official data show that in the first eight months of 2023, murders in the state bordering Guatemala rose by 16% to 348 from 300 in the same period a year earlier.

Nationwide, murders are down slightly in 2023 compared to last year, but they remain significantly above the average levels during the previous six-year administration.

 

More from International

  • Strong earthquake strikes central Peru

    An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.

  • Overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria, at least 40 bodies recovered

    At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.

  • Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

    Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.

  • Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv

    Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

    Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.