A magnitude 6.7 earthquake struck the southern Philippines on Friday, killing one person, injuring dozens and damaging buildings, authorities said.
The quake struck off Mindanao island at a depth of 60 km, according to the German Research Center for Geosciences (GFZ).
Angel Dugaduga, a disaster response official in the coastal town of Glan near the epicentre, said at least one person died and 18 others were injured based on an initial report.
The town's municipal office building and gymnasium were also damaged from the quake and electricity had been knocked out by the tremor, Dugaduga added.
The Philippine seismology agency PHIVOLCS and the Pacific Tsunamic Warning Center said a tsunami was not expected.
Amor Mio, police chief of nearby Koronadal city, said there were no reports of casualties but officials were checking a shopping mall reported to have been damaged.
"The employees were evacuated for their safety. According to police in the area, there was extensive damage but we could not ascertain definitely yet the extent," Mio said by telephone.
PHIVOLCS director Teresito Bacolcol told DZRH radio the earthquake's intensity was "destructive, so we would expect damage".
The earthquake lasted several seconds, he said, advising residents to be on alert for aftershocks as strong as magnitude 6.2.
Radio announcer Leny Aranego in General Santos city, close to Glan, said the quake shook buildings and desks. "We saw how the walls cracked and computers fell," he told DZRH radio station.
Michael Ricafort, an economist at the lender RCBC, said in a Facebook post passengers at General Santos City airport were evacuated to the tarmac.


8 Israeli airstrikes hit Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, state TV reports
Two killed in high school shooting in southern Philippines
Pakistan top court orders ex-PM Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail
Russian missile attack kills 10 in Ukraine's Kharkiv region, governor says
Trump says Iran won't make deal he thinks is needed
