Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said on Friday that ceasefire talks with Israel are primarily aimed at stopping Israeli hostilities on Lebanese territory, after the Israeli prime minister's office said it seeks economic cooperation.
Israel and Lebanon entered a US-brokered ceasefire agreement last year, but Israel has not halted strikes against Hezbollah group.
On Wednesday, officials from both sides said civilian envoys had been sent to the military committee that monitors their ceasefire, in a step that broadens the scope of their discussions.
Israel said its representative was dispatched to Lebanon to help lay the groundwork for a relationship and potential economic cooperation.
"These negotiations are mainly aimed at stopping the hostile actions carried out by Israel on Lebanese territory, securing the return of the captives, scheduling the withdrawal from the occupied areas, and resolving the disputed points along the Blue Line," Aoun said in a statement on Friday, referring to the UN-mapped line that separates Israel from Lebanon.
He also told a visiting UN Security Council delegation that Lebanon welcomes any country willing to keep forces in the south to support the army after UNIFIL, the long-running peacekeeping mission, withdraws at the end of 2026, adding that several states have already expressed interest.
Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.
Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.
South Korea's presidential office has condemned North Korea's launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday and ordered its military to maintain full readiness during ongoing joint exercises with the United States.