The Lebanese army said it had started clearing roadblocks eight days after protesters burnt tyres to block roadways across the country in anger over the country's economic meltdown and political deadlock.
"As a result of the tragic accidents and violations that took place units of the army started this morning opening closed roads," a statement posted on the official Twitter page of the Lebanese army said.
President Michel Aoun had asked the army and security forces to clear the obstructions on Monday after a meeting with top officials.
Lebanon's financial crisis, which erupted in 2019, has wiped out jobs, locked people out of their bank deposits and raised the risk of widespread hunger.
Groups of protesters have been burning tyres daily to block roads since the Lebanese currency tumbled to a new low last week, deepening popular anger over the country's financial collapse.
Three people died in car accidents amidst the roadblocks on Monday including two young men who died when they drove into a truck that was parked across a road to block traffic.


Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv
Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain
North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end
Kenya tourist helicopter crash kills seven
US, South Korea to cut length, scope of military drills after Trump order
