Kuwait's Emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah on Wednesday named Sheikh Meshal al-Ahmad, deputy head of the country's National Guard, as the new crown prince.
The selection of Sheikh Meshal, which must be approved by the Gulf Arab state's parliament, "was blessed by the Al Sabah family," state news agency KUNA cited a statement from the emir's office as saying.
Earlier two members of Kuwait's ruling family posted messages on Twitter pledging allegiance to Sheikh Meshal as crown prince.
Sheikh Nawaf assumed power following the death of his brother Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad last week.
Diplomats and analysts say that due to his low-key style and age, Sheikh Nawaf, 83, may delegate a larger portion of responsibilities to his heir apparent, who would have to act swiftly to tackle domestic issues.
The country's parliament speaker has said if the Emir announces a crown prince on Wednesday, then lawmakers would vote on his choice on Thursday, the last day of parliament's term.
A Russian drone strike on a minibus in Ukraine's southern city of Kherson has killed four people on Wednesday, Ukrainian authorities said, in what President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described as a "vicious" attack.
The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo now exceeds 5,000, government data has showed late on Tuesday, as health officials warn that response efforts are failing to contain the deadly disease.
Eight Israeli airstrikes have hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria early on Tuesday, targeting the runway and storage facilities, Syria's state-run Ekhbariya said, citing a military source.