Israel hits Tehran again after killing Khamenei, leadership council takes over

ATTA KENARE / AFP

Israel launched a new wave of strikes on Tehran on Sunday and Iran responded with more missile barrages, a day after the killing of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

The Israeli military said it had intercepted projectiles that were launched from Lebanon early Monday morning, in what could be the first sign of the armed group Hezbollah, long one of Tehran's principal allies in the Middle East, entering the conflict.

US President Donald Trump said the attack was intended to ensure Iran could not have a nuclear weapon, to contain its missile programme and to eliminate threats to the United States and its allies.

The US has hit more than 1,000 Iranian targets since the start of the campaign, US Central Command said.

In a video statement posted to his Truth Social site, Trump vowed military strikes will continue until "all our objectives are achieved."

He said the assault had wiped out Iran's military command and destroyed nine Iranian navy ships and a naval building.

Trump said the Iranian military and police should lay down their arms, promising immunity for those who surrender and threatening "certain death" for those who resist.

He reiterated calls for the Iranian people to revolt against the government.

"I call upon all Iranian patriots who yearn for freedom to seize this moment, to be brave, be bold, be heroic and take back your country," Trump said in the pre-recorded video. "America is with you."

Earlier in an interview with the Atlantic magazine, Trump said Iran's leadership wanted to talk to him and he had agreed.

In a separate interview with the Daily Mail, he said the military campaign against Iran could continue for the next four weeks.

But the Republican president is yet to lay out his longer-term aims in Iran, which faces a power vacuum that could leave it in chaos, with unforeseeable consequences for the region.

The first US casualties of the campaign, including the deaths of three service personnel, were confirmed on Sunday.

Trump paid tribute to the three killed as "true American patriots" but warned that there will likely be more casualties. "That's the way it is," he said.

Only around one in four Americans approve of the operation, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll on Sunday.

And if Hormuz - the passage for about 20 per cent of world oil supplies - remains closed for more than a few days, US consumers will start to feel the pressure on prices at the pumps.

The Israeli military said late on Sunday that its air force had established aerial superiority over Tehran, and that a wave of strikes across the capital had targeted intelligence, security and military command centers.

Israel's present focus is to undermine the Iranian government so that it collapses, an Israeli official said on condition of anonymity, adding that Israel "is acting in its own ways" to get Iranians to take to the streets.

In Iran, facing its biggest existential challenge since the 1980-88 war with Iraq, President Masoud Pezeshkian said a leadership council composed of himself, the judiciary head and a member of the powerful Guardian Council had temporarily assumed the duties of Supreme Leader.

Oman's foreign ministry said Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi had indicated Tehran was open to de-escalation. But in a post on X, Araqchi suggested Iran was ready to keep fighting.

"We've had two decades to study defeats of the US military to our immediate east and west," he wrote. "Bombings in our capital have no impact on our ability to conduct war."

It remained unclear what the longer-term prospects were for Iran to rebuild its leadership and replace the 86-year-old Khamenei, who had held power since the death of the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in 1989.

Russian President Vladimir Putindenounced Khamenei's death as a cynical murder and China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi described it as "blatant killing".

IRAN HITS BACK

As Iran fired renewed missile barrages across the region, air raid sirens sounded across Israel late on Sunday, warning of the latest incoming attack, including in Tel Aviv, where projectiles were seen streaking across the night sky.

The projectiles launched from Lebanon led to sirens sounding in several areas in northern Israel early on Monday.

Lebanon's presidency said on Saturday it had been told by the US ambassador that Israel would not escalate against Lebanon as long as there are no hostile acts from the Lebanese side.

More from International

  • Strong earthquake strikes central Peru

    An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.

  • Overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria, at least 40 bodies recovered

    At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.

  • Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

    Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.

  • Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv

    Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

    Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.