Indonesia's Mount Sinabung volcano sent a cloud of hot ash as high as 3 km on Tuesday, in its first big eruption since August last year.
Mount Sinabung's activity has increased since August last year and the alert for the volcano in North Sumatra province has been placed at second highest level.
No casualties were reported as official had earlier urged people to stay at least 3 km from the crater, Indonesia's volcanological survey said on Twitter.
Videos on social media showed little panic among residents over the eruption, which sent a column of white ash into the blue sky.
Indonesia straddles the "Pacific ring of fire" with nearly 130 active volcanoes, more than any other country.
Sinabung had been inactive for centuries before it erupted again in 2010.


8 Israeli airstrikes hit Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, state TV reports
Two killed in high school shooting in southern Philippines
Pakistan top court orders ex-PM Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail
Russian missile attack kills 10 in Ukraine's Kharkiv region, governor says
Trump says Iran won't make deal he thinks is needed
