Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam has said the controversial extradition bill "is dead", admitting that the government's work had been a "total failure".
However, it was unclear if the legislation was being withdrawn, as Lam did not use the word during Tuesday's news conference.
She noted that there were "lingering doubts about the government's sincerity or worries whether the government will restart the process in the Legislative Council."
"I reiterate here, there is no such plan," Lam maintained. "The bill is dead."
The bill, that would have allowed extradition to the Chinese mainland, had sparked weeks of unrest in the city forcing the government to suspend it indefinitely.

Bus-truck head-on collision in Parana, Brazil kills at least 21
At least 9 killed in hotel fire in India's Kolkata
Russian drone attacks kill five in Ukraine's Kherson, governor says
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows
8 Israeli airstrikes hit Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, state TV reports
