Guinea's top court on Saturday confirmed President Alpha Conde's victory in last month's election, rejecting accusations of fraud and handing him a third term his opponents say is unconstitutional.
The 82-year-old Conde's campaign to change the constitution earlier this year in order to circumvent a two-term limit and subsequent candidacy in the October 18 election sparked violent protests that killed dozens of people.
The president's main rival, former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, and other opposition candidates alleged irregularities in the official results announced two weeks ago that showed Conde with 59.5 per cent of the vote.
But the constitutional court said they had produced no evidence.
"Mister Alpha Conde ... is declared elected in the first round as president of the Republic of Guinea," said court president Mohamed Lamine Bangoura.
Conde's actions have raised fears about a democratic backslide in Guinea, Africa's top bauxite producer, and West Africa more generally.
Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara was also declared the winner of an election last month after running for a disputed third term.
Eight Israeli airstrikes have hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria early on Tuesday, targeting the runway and storage facilities, Syria's state-run Ekhbariya said, citing a military source.
Two students were killed in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, one of them the gunman, officials said, in the second such incident in the country in less than two months.
The Supreme Court of Pakistan has ordered on Tuesday that former Prime Minister Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail, his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party said, meeting a longstanding demand of his party and family, who had raised concerns about his health.
A Russian missile attack has killed 10 people and injured a further eight in a village in Ukraine's northeastern Kharkiv region, the regional governor said on Tuesday.