The French government will reimpose an evening curfew on Paris, and possibly the Ile-de-France region around the capital, to tackle worsening COVID-19 figures.
According to government spokesman Gabriel Attal, the evening curfew on Paris, which would start at 9:00 pm, would come on top of a new, national lockdown imposed last week by President Emmanuel Macron.
"We are going to reinstate a curfew on Paris, and perhaps the Ile-de-France. The Interior Ministry will specify the details later in the day and an edict will be issued," Attal told BFM TV.
France reported a record 52,518 new COVID-19 cases on Monday and the number hospitalised rose by more than a 1,000 for the fourth time in eight days, as the pandemic shows no signs of abating despite the new lockdown.
France's COVID-19 death toll rose by 416 to 37,435, compared with an increase of 231 on Sunday and a months-high seven-day moving average of 345.
Health Minister Olivier Veran told RTL radio that one Parisian was becoming infected with COVID-19 every 30 seconds, while a Parisian is admitted to hospital with the disease every 15 minutes.


Bus-truck head-on collision in Parana, Brazil kills at least 21
At least 9 killed in hotel fire in India's Kolkata
Russian drone attacks kill five in Ukraine's Kherson, governor says
Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows
8 Israeli airstrikes hit Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, state TV reports
