French rescue workers have found four bodies in the rubble of buildings in the southern city of Marseille that collapsed following an explosion, police said on Monday.
Authorities had said earlier that they had identified eight people missing in the wake of Sunday's explosion, which destroyed two residential buildings and caused a third to partially collapse. The cause of the blast is still unknown.
The discovery of four bodies is "gruesome, difficult and dramatic," said housing minister Olivier Klein, speaking to reporters in Marseille, adding that the role of the government was to support the victims, their families and those who have been evacuated from their homes.
The rescue operations were continuing with "care and determination" and 40 buildings near the site have been evacuated, he added.
The collapse caused a fire which has complicated rescue efforts and which was continuing to burn on Monday morning.
Five people were taken to hospital on Sunday with serious but not life-threatening injuries.
South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation.
At least 100 people were killed when a low-tech artisanal gold mine collapsed in the Central African Republic on Tuesday, a senior official at a local mining association said.
An Israeli airstrike killed nine Palestinians at a police station in Gaza on Wednesday, medics said, two days after US envoy Jared Kushner ended a trip to the region that failed to push forward Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the enclave.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday, as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.