The daughter of Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte filed her candidacy for the vice presidency, the poll body said on Saturday, ending months of speculation about her 2022 election plans.
The Commission on Election (COMELEC) said on its Facebook page the vice-presidential candidate of the Lakas-CMD party withdrew her certificate of candidacy and substituting her was Sara Duterte-Carpio.
A representative filed the substitution papers, the COMELEC said.
A spokesperson for the 43-year-old Duterte-Carpio confirmed the filing and said she would be releasing a statement shortly.
Duterte-Carpio's decision to seek the country's No. 2 job came as a surprise as she has led opinion polls throughout this year as the preferred presidential candidate.
"It was a surprise," Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University, told Reuters. "Next surprise is VP for whom."
The Constitution bars Duterte-Carpio's 76-year-old father from seeking a second six-year term. He said last month he was retiring from politics.
The Southeast Asian nation of 110 million people holds elections in May 2022 for positions from the president down to governors, mayors and local officials.
Eight Israeli airstrikes have hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria early on Tuesday, targeting the runway and storage facilities, Syria's state-run Ekhbariya said, citing a military source.
Two students were killed in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, one of them the gunman, officials said, in the second such incident in the country in less than two months.
The Supreme Court of Pakistan has ordered on Tuesday that former Prime Minister Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail, his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party said, meeting a longstanding demand of his party and family, who had raised concerns about his health.
A Russian missile attack has killed 10 people and injured a further eight in a village in Ukraine's northeastern Kharkiv region, the regional governor said on Tuesday.
President Donald Trump said on Monday Iran would not make the deal he thinks is needed to end a war with the US and should surrender as talks between the countries remained stalled.