The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
De La Espriella said the impact included roughly 24.5 trillion pesos in buildings and 5.5 trillion pesos in infrastructure.
"Just imagine the scale of the disaster," De La Espriella said, noting that the figures were likely to change. "This is a preliminary figure that will be adjusted as we obtain more information and as the damage caused by this earthquake is assessed in each of the regions."
The 7.4-magnitude quake toppled buildings in various parts of western Colombia, including the major cities of Cali and Pereira, killing 280 people, injuring more than 4,000, and leaving another 143 people missing.
By comparison, the earthquakes that struck neighboring Venezuela on June 24 caused damage to housing and infrastructure estimated at $37 billion, according to an initial assessment by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction published last month.
The Colombia quake is the first major crisis facing De La Espriella, who took office just days before and now must oversee relief and reconstruction efforts.
Two students were killed in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, one of them the gunman, and the situation was now under control, officials said, in the second such incident in the country in less than two months.
President Donald Trump said on Monday Iran would not make the deal he thinks is needed to end a war with the US and should surrender as talks between the countries remained stalled.
Donald Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner left Jerusalem on Monday without a breakthrough after two days of talks with Israeli and Hamas leaders over a stalled US plan to end the war in Gaza, with both sides standing firm on key demands.
US President Donald Trump on Sunday instructed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with long-term Asian ally South Korea, citing the cost of the drills and Seoul's refusal to take part in actions against Iran.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) replaced its social media head on Monday as part of an organisational reshuffle, the party said, weeks after youth-led protests amplified through social media forced the resignation of the education minister.