Armed rebels killed more than 35 civilians during an attack on a cluster of villages in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo's Ituri province on Monday night, a village chief said on Tuesday.
The head of the Djaiba group of villages in Djugu territory, Jean Vianney, said CODECO fighters carried out the attack, which started around 8:00 p.m., summarily executing residents and setting houses on fire.
"We have counted more than 35 dead this morning and the search is ongoing. There are people injured, many burnt to death in their homes," he said.
Local civil society leader Jules Tsuba said 49 bodies had been counted so far on Tuesday morning and that the search was ongoing.
CODECO is one of a myriad of rebel groups fighting over land and resources in east Congo. It has been accused in the past by the United Nations of attacks against other communities including Hema herders that could constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity. The majority of residents in Djugu territory are Hema.
"The victims are from the Hema community," Vianney said, adding that Congolese soldiers and UN peacekeepers stationed around 3 kilometres did not intervene.
Congo's army and the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo MONUSCO did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation.
An Israeli airstrike killed nine Palestinians at a police station in Gaza on Wednesday, medics said, two days after US envoy Jared Kushner ended a trip to the region that failed to push forward Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the enclave.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday, as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
At least 21 people have died and four others injured in a head-on collision between a bus and a truck in the BR-373 highway in Brazil's southern state of Parana, the road operator said on Wednesday in an X post.