10-year-old at Japanese school in China dies after stabbing

File photo for illustration

A child enrolled in a Japanese school in Shenzhen, China, has died after being stabbed by an assailant on Wednesday, the Japanese government said.

Chinese authorities had said the victim was 10 years old and had been stabbed on the way to school on Wednesday. The suspected 44-year-old assailant was arrested on the spot.

The child died in the early hours of Thursday, Japanese foreign minister Yoko Kamikawa told reporters.

"I take the incident extremely seriously," she said.

"This should never happen in any country. Particularly, I sincerely regret that this despicable act was committed against a child on their way to school."

Japan has asked China to provide a detailed explanation of the facts and to take strong safety measures, she added.

Authorities in both Japan and China have not disclosed the nationality or gender of the victim. The website of the Shenzhen Japanese School says it is for children of Japanese nationality, and Japanese media said the victim was a boy.

The local Japanese chamber of commerce has asked the Japanese government to ensure the safety of its nationals in the area, the organisation said in a statement.

The attack took place near the school on the anniversary of an incident in 1931 that triggered war between China and Japan, a sensitive date at a time when diplomatic relations are in danger of deteriorating.

It was the second such attack near a Japanese educational facility in China in recent months.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi declined to comment on any potential impact of the latest incident on bilateral ties.

In June, a man attacked a bus used by a Japanese school in the eastern city of Suzhou, resulting in the death of a Chinese national who tried to shield a Japanese mother and her child from the assailant.

Also on Wednesday, a Chinese aircraft carrier entered Japan's contiguous waters for the first time, the latest in a string of military manoeuvres that prompted a protest from Tokyo to Beijing.

More from International

  • Strong earthquake strikes central Peru

    An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.

  • Overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria, at least 40 bodies recovered

    At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.

  • Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

    Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.

  • Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv

    Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

    Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.