A negative COVID-19 test result no older than 14 days is required on the first day of physical school for all private and charter school students across Abu Dhabi emirate.
That's according to the latest guidelines announced by the Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (ADEK) to ensure a safe start to the new academic year.
Regardless of age or vaccination status, all private and charter school pupils, including students of determination, must get tested every 14 days for the first month of the term.
The same procedure applies to teachers, administrative staff and third-party contractors.
The tests will be provided free of charge to students as well as school staff.
- Free COVID-19 PCR tests will be provided to students above 12 years old and school staff at designated testing centres on a specific date for each school. ADEK has already sent all schools a PCR testing schedule.
- Parents may contact schools to obtain their school code, testing centre location and testing date as per the schedule provided by ADEK.
- Alternatively, students aged 12+ and school staff can choose to get a PCR test at any private testing centre of their choice at their own cost.
- Students below 12 years and students of determination can avail a free COVID-19 pre-entry PCR test at any private or public testing centre across Abu Dhabi. They can also opt for a saliva test as an alternative to the nasal PCR test.
- Students must present their valid Emirates ID and specify to the medical staff that they are getting the back-to-school pre-entry test at the testing centre.
As students may have varying school start dates, depending on their school’s reopening model (alternating days or alternating weeks).
ADEK is working in close cooperation with stakeholders across Abu Dhabi and will announce the routine PCR testing schedule and frequency for staff and students in due course.