Aryna Sabalenka has withdrawn from the China Open due to an injury suffered during her title-winning campaign at Flushing Meadows, organisers said on Wednesday.
The Belarusian, who defeated Amanda Anisimova to win a second straight US Open crown and fourth Grand Slam title earlier this month, reached the quarter-finals of the WTA 1000 event in Beijing last year.
"I am sad to announce my withdrawal from the China Open this year after sustaining a small injury after the US Open," Sabalenka said in a statement provided by organisers.
"I am going to focus on being 100% healthy for the rest of the year ..."
American Coco Gauff is the defending champion at the China Open, which will take place at the National Tennis Centre in Beijing from September 24-October 5.

Ronaldo to lead Portugal at sixth World Cup as 27-man squad named
Hyderabad and Gujarat into IPL playoffs, Chennai on brink of elimination
Neymar makes Brazil’s World Cup roster after injury struggles
Arsenal close in on title with narrow win over Burnley
Dubai Basketball semi-final games relocated to Bosnia and Herzegovina
