Ghanaian footballer Christian Atsu has been found dead under the building where he lived in southern Turkey after last week's massive earthquake, the ex-Chelsea and Newcastle winger's Turkish agent said.
"Atsu's lifeless body was found under the rubble," Murat Uzunmehmet told reporters in Hatay, where the athlete's body was found. "Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found."
Atsu had been scheduled to fly out of southern Turkey hours before the quake, but Hatayspor's manager said on Friday the Ghanaian opted to stay with the club after scoring the game-winning goal in a Feb. 5 Super Lig match.
The Turkish Football Federation posted a tribute on their Twitter account.
Atakaş Hatayspor'un futbolcusu Christian Atsu'nun ülkemizi yasa boğan deprem felaketinde hayatını kaybettiğini derin bir üzüntüyle öğrenmiş bulunuyoruz.
— TFF (@TFF_Org) February 18, 2023
Christian Atsu'nun ailesine, yakınlarına, sevenlerine ve Hatayspor camiasına başsağlığı dileriz. pic.twitter.com/CqoJqtTneF


Norris wins Dutch GP as Antonelli stretches his F1 lead
F1 confirms Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will close 2026 season
Dutch GP re-starts after Verstappen crashes on opening lap
Man City set to sign Morocco midfielder Bouaddi from Lille
Chinese robots beat Usain Bolt's 100m world record at Beijing games
