Trump and Biden shift focus to general election rematch as Haley fights on

File Photo

Donald Trump and Joe Biden prepared for a likely election rematch in November after Trump's win in New Hampshire made his White House nomination increasingly likely, although his last remaining rival Nikki Haley vowed to stay in the race.

Former Republican President Trump's back-to-back wins in nominating contests put him on an almost certain path toward a general election contest with Democratic President Biden. Both turned their fire on each other after Trump's New Hampshire victory over Haley on Tuesday night.

Biden's reelection campaign issued a statement saying it is “now clear that Donald Trump will be the Republican nominee,” and repeated warnings that the former president is a threat to democracy.

Trump took to his social media platform Truth Social to repeat unfounded allegations that Biden and his Justice Department were engaged in political persecution, following the multiple criminal indictments of Trump last year.

But Haley, who served as Trump's UN ambassador and is now his sole opponent for the Republican nomination, pledged to take that race to South Carolina, which votes on February 24, and beyond.

In a speech to supporters in South Carolina on Wednesday night, Haley said US voters deserved a better option than a Biden-Trump rematch, "and we're going to give it to them."

She also repeated her challenge to Trump to debate her. "Bring it Donald, show me what you got!" she declared to cheers.

The Republican nominating race has months to go, but Trump is seeking to knock Haley out and become the presumptive nominee quickly.

After Haley spoke, Trump warned her donors to stop funding her campaign. On Truth Social, he said anybody making a contribution to Haley would be "permanently barred" from his political orbit.

In South Carolina, Trump, 77, will be looking to embarrass Haley, 52, by defeating her in her home state. Haley is aiming for an upset delivered by voters who twice elected her as governor.

Haley has three rallies scheduled in South Carolina in the coming days, and her campaign released two new ads as part of a $4 million ad buy in the state.

One attacks Biden, 81, as "too old" and Trump as "too much chaos," and calls a reprisal of the 2020 election a "rematch no one wants". The other says she delivered "thousands of jobs, lower taxes, tough immigration laws" as governor from 2011 to 2017.

Republicans have largely coalesced around Trump, however, putting pressure on Haley to drop out. Trump has racked up endorsements from most of South Carolina's leading Republican figures. Opinion polls show him with a wide lead there.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.