Six foreign nationals found dead in Bangkok hotel

File picture [for illustration]

Six people were found dead at an upmarket hotel in Bangkok on Tuesday, including at least one American national of Vietnamese descent.

The Thai police said that the six people were all foreign nationals.

The incident, which took place at Bangkok's plush Grand Hyatt Erawan hotel, comes as Thailand looks to further promote its tourism sector, a key driver of Southeast Asia's second-largest economy.

"The prime minister has ordered all agencies to urgently take action to avoid impact on tourism," the Thai government said in its statement.

A police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, dismissed earlier reports in Thai media that the six people had been killed in a shooting.

"There is no sign of a shooting," the official told Reuters, adding that there were Vietnamese nationals among the dead. The official did not elaborate further.

Police officers found the bodies of six deceased foreign nationals at the hotel after receiving a call from the staff at around 5:30 pm reporting that there had been deaths, the Thai police said in its statement.

The Grand Hyatt Erawan, which has over 350 rooms, is located in a popular tourist district known for luxury shopping and restaurants.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.