Philippines tightens curbs after detecting first local cases of Delta variant

TED ALJIBE / AFP

The Philippines has recorded the country's first locally acquired cases of the more infectious Delta variant, prompting authorities to reimpose stricter coronavirus measures in some areas as health experts sought bans on social gatherings.

The Southeast Asian country is battling one of the worst COVID-19 outbreaks in Asia, but infection numbers have been declining since peaking in March and April, allowing for a gradual relaxation of restrictions.

Of the 16 new COVID-19 cases found to have contracted the Delta variant, 11 were tagged as locally acquired cases, Health Under-Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire told a news conference.

One person had died after being rushed to a hospital in the capital Manila on June 28, Vergeire said.

"The spread of COVID-19 globally, while being controlled by vaccination, is still being driven by these variants of concern," said Vergeire, as authorities announced a tightening of restrictions in Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental province.

In May, the Philippines recorded its first Delta cases in two workers who returned from the United Arab Emirates and Oman.

"Mutation from the local population does not happen. It must have been introduced from foreign travelers," Cynthia Saloma, executive director of the Philippine Genome Center, told the news conference.

Philippine authorities have been scrambling to try and stop the variant from spreading after it has helped trigger a surge in infections across the region. The Philippines has banned travellers from eight countries including India, Indonesia and the UAE until the end of July.

But while tightening border controls to keep the variant out, authorities have been loosening other curbs, including allowing limited gatherings and permitting children aged five and above to go outdoors.

With more than 1.49 million cases and 26,314 deaths, the Philippines has the second-highest number of infections and deaths in Southeast Asia, and the detection of the Delta variant could slow the country's return to normality.

"We need to make sure no mass gatherings are held, and even small gatherings for families and work groups," Dr. Anna Lisa Ong-Lim, a technical adviser for the health ministry, said, warning of the risk of "super-spreader events".

The sluggish rollout of COVID-19 vaccines is another reason for authorities to be nervous.

The Philippines has so far fully immunised only 3.9 per cent of its 110 million population, government data show.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.