Philippines' Duterte agrees to pay for vaccines in advance to ensure supply

File pic

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who has previously criticised Western manufacturers for asking fees to reserve vaccines, has agreed to pay drugmakers in advance to secure millions of COVID-19 shots.

Duterte had also "approved in principle" an executive order so that vaccines, which had been approved overseas for emergency use, can be utilised in the Philippines, Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said.

"We agreed to pay in advance because if we don't, we might be the last among countries to get the vaccine," he told a media briefing.

The Philippines, which has the second-highest number of coronavirus cases and deaths in Southeast Asia, plans to procure an initial 50 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine to ensure at least a quarter of its 108 million population gets inoculated next year.

Carlito Galvez, a former general leading the country's task-force to tackle the pandemic, said the government was in talks with several vaccine makers, including Pfizer Inc and Moderna Inc, over possible supply deals.

Pfizer said on Wednesday it could secure emergency US and European authorisation for their COVID-19 vaccine next month after final trial results showed it had a 95 per cent success rate and no serious side effects.

Moderna on Monday released preliminary data for its vaccine showing 94.5 per cent effectiveness.

Duterte has said previously his preference was for his country to source its COVID-19 vaccines from either China or Russia.

Philippine authorities have also been looking at bilateral and multilateral vaccine deals, including tapping the World Health Organisation’s global vaccine project, known as COVAX, to bolster the country’s prospective arsenal against the pandemic.

Duterte has said the budget was there to purchase vaccines but he wanted a bigger supply in order to inoculate the entire Philippine population.

Galvez has said vaccines could start arriving between May and July next year, with the bulk likely to come by the end of 2021 or early 2022.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.