Israeli military attack WHO staff residence in Gaza

MAHMUD HAMS / AFP

The World Health Organization (WHO) has condemned attacks on its staff residence and warehouse in Gaza’s Deir al-Balah, warning that the strikes compromise its ability to deliver humanitarian aid in the besieged enclave.

The agency said its staff compound was hit three times on Monday, with airstrikes sparking fires and causing extensive damage.

"Israeli military entered the premises, forcing women and children to evacuate on foot toward Al-Mawasi amid active conflict. Male staff and family members were handcuffed, stripped, interrogated on the spot,and screened at gunpoint," WHO said.

Two WHO staff and two family members were detained, it said in a post on X, adding that three were later released, while one staff member remained in detention.

“WHO demands the immediate release of the detained staff and protection of all its personnel,” said Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. Despite the incident, the organisation said it will remain in Deir al-Balah and expand operations where possible. Its main warehouse, located in an evacuation zone, was also damaged on Sunday by an airstrike that triggered multiple explosions and a large fire.

Shortly after the WHO facility attacks, at least 12 Palestinians were killed and dozens more injured when Israeli tank shells struck a tent encampment in western Gaza City early on Tuesday. Medics reported that tanks stationed north of the Shati refugee camp fired two shells into an area sheltering displaced families. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military.

Israeli tanks also pushed into the southern and eastern districts of Deir al-Balah for the first time on Monday. The area, now sheltering tens of thousands of displaced Palestinians, has come under intensified bombardment following evacuation orders issued by Israel. Israeli sources claim the military believes Hamas hostages may be held in the vicinity.

Local medics reported further casualties in Deir al-Balah, with at least three people killed and several wounded in shelling that hit homes and mosques.

The UK and over 20 other nations have called for an immediate ceasefire, criticising Israel’s aid delivery mechanisms after hundreds of Palestinians were killed near food distribution sites in recent weeks.

The war was triggered on October 2023, when Hamas fighters entered southern Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli figures. Since then, Israel’s war on Gaza has killed more than 59,000 Palestinians, displaced nearly the entire population, and triggered a severe humanitarian crisis.

WHO has described Gaza’s health system as being “on its knees”, citing acute shortages of fuel, essential medical supplies and an overwhelming number of mass casualties.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.