France's Sarkozy back home after court frees him pending appeal

AFP

Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy was freed from jail and went home on Monday, after a Paris court ruled he could be released while he appeals against his conviction for conspiring to raise funds from Libya.

Sarkozy was sent to prison on October 21 after he was found guilty in September of criminal conspiracy over efforts by close aides to procure funds for his 2007 presidential bid from late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

The former conservative leader, who was president from 2007 to 2012, told the court that being in jail had been tough.

"Truth will prevail. This is a fact that life teaches us," he wrote on X after returning home.

He added that he would now focus on his appeal process, and that "the end of the story remains to be written".

'NO FLIGHT RISK'

The court said he did not represent a flight risk and therefore did not have to remain in prison until his appeal.

His release was based on specific criteria, such as whether there was a risk he could flee, and is no indication of whether his appeal is likely to succeed.

"Vive la liberte" (Long live freedom), Sarkozy's youngest son, Louis, posted on his X account with a childhood photo of himself smiling alongside his father.

Sarkozy's five-year prison sentence had been enforced swiftly because of what judges in September called the "extraordinary seriousness" of the crime. He was incarcerated at La Sante prison in Paris - a stunning downfall for a former president.

But the public prosecutor on Monday recommended that Sarkozy be freed pending his appeal of the guilty verdict.

The court agreed to release him under judicial supervision, which includes a ban on leaving France and a ban on talking to any justice ministry official.

PRISON IS DRAINING, SARKOZY SAYS

Sarkozy has consistently denied wrongdoing, calling himself a victim of revenge and hatred. He did not attend Monday's hearing in person but was taking part via video link from prison.

He told the court he would respect any demand from the judiciary if he were freed.

"I'm French, sir. I love my country. I’m fighting for the truth to prevail. I will comply with all the obligations imposed on me, as I always have," he said.

Speaking of being in jail, he added: "It’s tough. Really tough — as it must be for any detainee. I’d even say it’s draining."

Sarkozy has faced several legal battles since leaving office.

Last year, France's highest court upheld a conviction for corruption and influence peddling, ordering him to wear an electronic tag for a year, a first for a former French head of state. The tag has now been removed.

Also last year, an appeals court confirmed a separate conviction for illegal campaign financing over his failed re-election bid in 2012. A final ruling from France's highest court is expected on that case this month.

Sarkozy is also under formal investigation in another case for being an accessory to witness tampering.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.