'El Mayo', alleged Mexican kingpin, pleads not guilty to US charges

AFP / Rodrigo Oropeza

Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada, the notorious alleged co-founder of the Sinaloa Cartel, pleaded not guilty to US drug charges on Friday after he and the son of a Mexican drug lord were arrested in Texas.

The arrest is a dramatic achievement for US law enforcement that could usher in a seismic shift to Mexico's criminal landscape.

Court records showed that Zambada directed that a not-guilty plea be entered on his behalf, which US Magistrate Judge Anne Berton accepted.

According to a transcript, at an initial court appearance in a Texas courtroom on Friday, Zambada, who is believed to be in his 70s and was in a wheelchair, was read his rights and charges.

The records show that he waived his right to be present at an arraignment next Wednesday. He will be required to appear in person at a status conference on Thursday before US District Judge Kathleen Cardone, who will oversee the rest of the case.

Zambada is accused of being one of the most consequential traffickers in Mexico's history, having co-founded the Sinaloa Cartel with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman. El Chapo was extradited to the US in 2017 and is serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison.

Zambada and Joaquin Guzman Lopez, a son of El Chapo, face multiple charges in the United States for allegedly funnelling huge quantities of fentanyl and other drugs to US streets. Fentanyl overdoses have surged to become the leading cause of death for Americans between the ages of 18 and 45.

Guzman Lopez, who is in his 30s, is due to appear in court in Chicago next week, according to a US official.

The two were detained after landing on Thursday, Thursday, on a private plane in the El Paso area.

Reuters was the first news organization to report the story, ahead of a Department of Justice statement on Thursday evening, which confirmed the two men had been detained in El Paso.

On Friday, US President Joe Biden heralded the arrests and vowed to continue combating drug trafficking.

"Too many of our citizens have lost their lives to the scourge of fentanyl. Too many families have been broken and are suffering because of this destructive drug," he said in a statement.

A TRAP

Guzman Lopez lured Zambada to the US, according to three current and former US officials familiar with the operation, who sought anonymity to speak candidly about the events.

"My client did not come to the US voluntarily," said Zambada's lawyer, Frank Perez.

US authorities have made drug bosses key targets, frequently striking plea bargain deals with them in exchange for information that leads to the capture of other high-ranking cartel figures.

Reuters could not immediately determine whether a plea bargain deal had been struck.

Zambada and El Chapo's sons have had a fractious relationship since their father was extradited in 2017, and the arrests of Zambada and Guzman Lopez may trigger instability or even violence in their heartlands in the northern state of Sinaloa.

On Friday, Mexico's defence ministry said it had sent 200 special forces soldiers to Sinaloa to enhance security.

A bloody inter-cartel war erupted in 2008 when another senior Sinaloa leader was detained. His family members accused El Chapo of orchestrating the arrest with Mexican authorities, triggering a violent fissure between two powerful factions of the crime group.

Guzman Lopez is one of four sons of El Chapo - known as Los Chapitos, or Little Chapos - who inherited their father's faction of the cartel. His brother, Ovidio Guzman Lopez, was arrested last year and extradited to the US.

Social media rumours circulated that Ovidio Guzman had been released, but the US ambassador to Mexico, Ken Salazar, said in a statement that he "remains in custody in the United States."

In recent years, the cartel has become the biggest target for US authorities, who have accused the crime syndicate of being the biggest supplier of fentanyl to the US.

The Sinaloa cartel traffics drugs to more than 50 countries around the globe and is one of the two most powerful organized crime groups in Mexico, according to US authorities.

Zambada and El Chapo's sons belong to two different generations of traffickers with differing styles.

Zambada is known for being an "old-school," avoiding the limelight and operating in the shadows. El Chapo's sons, by contrast, have a reputation for being flashy narcos who courted attention as they ascended the ranks of the cartel.

El Chapo's sons are also known to be more violent and hot-headed than Zambada, who had a reputation as a shrewd operator.

'CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE'

The Texas charges to which Zambada pleaded not guilty included continuing criminal enterprise, narcotics importation conspiracy and money laundering.

The indictment, filed in April 2012, alleges that cartel members under the leadership of Zambada and El Chapo kidnapped a Texas resident in 2009 to answer for the loss of a seized marijuana shipment and kidnapped a US citizen and two members of his family in 2010.

Both victims were murdered, and their bodies were discovered in Juarez, Mexico, prosecutors said.

Mexican Security Minister Rosa Rodriguez said Mexico was informed of the detentions by the US government but that Mexican authorities did not participate in the operation.

She said that it was unclear whether the two men were captured or surrendered themselves to US authorities.

"The Mexican government did not participate in this detention or surrender," Rodriguez said at a press conference.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.