Death toll from fuel depot blast in Karabakh rises to 170

AFP (File Picture)

The death toll from an explosion and fire at a fuel depot in Nagorno-Karabakh has risen to 170, the Armenpress news agency reported on Friday citing local officials in the breakaway region.

The blast occurred as thousands of ethnic Armenians fled the breakaway enclave after their fighters were defeated by Azerbaijan in a lightning military operation.

The authorities have not given any explanation for the cause of the blast.

The number of victims rose sharply from an earlier announcement by Karabakh authorities reporting 68 dead on Tuesday evening.

Rescue work at the blast site continues.

As of Friday morning, more than 84,700 of the 120,000 ethnic Armenians who call Nagorno-Karabakh home had already crossed into Armenia.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.