BBC presenter at centre of scandal named as lead anchor Edwards

AFP

One of Britain's leading television news anchors, Huw Edwards, was identified by his wife as the BBC presenter facing allegations he paid a young person thousands of pounds for explicit photos.

Edwards announced the death of Queen Elizabeth to the nation in September and has led coverage of the biggest events in Britain since the turn of the century, including elections, royal weddings and the 2012 Olympics.

His wife, Vicky Flind, said she was making a statement out of concern for Edwards' mental health and to protect their children, after the initial report by the Sun newspaper dominated the news agenda and sparked days of speculation.

"Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years," Flind said in a statement, according to the BBC.

"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future."

The story first broke on Friday when the Sun tabloid reported a leading BBC presenter had paid a young person £35,000 ($45,000) for explicit photos over three years, beginning when the person was 17.

The BBC suspended the presenter but did not name him. Several BBC stars then took to social media to say they were not involved after speculation swirled online.

The BBC came under fire as it struggled to investigate the claim against the presenter, protect the person's privacy, respond publicly to the allegations, and not anger other presenters who fell under suspicion.

London's Metropolitan Police said earlier on Wednesday it had concluded its assessment into the allegations and found there was no indication a criminal offence had been committed.

"There is no further police action," it said.

The BBC said it would continue with its internal investigation into the allegations.

In an email to staff, BBC Director General Tim Davie said it remained "a very complex set of circumstances".

"This will no doubt be a difficult time for many after a challenging few days. I want to reassure you that our immediate concern is our duty of care to all involved," he said.

A spokesperson for The Sun said the newspaper had no plans to publish further allegations and would cooperate with the BBC's investigation.

"We will provide the BBC team with a confidential and redacted dossier containing serious and wide-ranging allegations which we have received, including some from BBC personnel," the spokesperson said.

Edwards, who has five children, has worked for the BBC since 1984 and has anchored its flagship BBC News at Ten bulletin for more than two decades. He is the broadcaster's highest paid news presenter, earning in the £435,000 to 439,999 band (about $565,000).

Flind said she hoped the statement would bring an end to media speculation which had had an impact on Edwards' BBC colleagues.

"Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published," she said.

More from International

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

  • US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs

    The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs that he pursued under a law meant for use in national emergencies, handing a stinging defeat to the Republican president in a landmark opinion on Friday with major implications for the global economy.